things happen when you least expect them...

7:05:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

(Just found this in my drafts…. feels like it was just yesterday!)



The past 24 hours have been a roller coaster of emotions.  It all began Sunday evening when for a brief second I wondered when my period was due this month, and I guess also had the first intuition that I was pregnant.  The thought only crossed my mind for a moment… long enough to use the handy menstrual cycle app on my phone and learn that my period was due tomorrow (Monday).  Nick and I had stopped “trying” for months, and I had accepted that children were not in the plan for our immediate future.  I had accepted this, and I was happy with it.


I guess my intuition remained somewhere subconsciously, because when I woke up Monday morning I decided to use one of my left-over pregnancy tests from our years of trying and failing.  While I watched the test come to life, I began to rub my eyes frantically while I watched two lines appear.  Was I half asleep?  Were my eyes playing tricks on me?  I had taken dozens of pregnancy tests in my time (okay, maybe hundreds), and I knew what a negative HPT looked like.  And this was not one.


I dipped another test, and another, and before I knew it I was faced with three positive tests in a row.  I don’t know how long I stood there speechless, before beginning to pace around my house chanting “oh my god… oh my god… oh my god…” (with a little profanity mixed in).  My heart was racing, my palms were sweaty, and I spent the next 3 hours in a state of complete shock.  


Nick was working until midnight that day, and I knew there was absolutely no way I could wait that long before telling him.  I jumped in the car and called him on my way, only to find out that he wouldn’t be back at the office for another hour.  Great.  So I took a detour to Target and walked around in a daze trying to let it all sink in.  Just before leaving I started having second thoughts about telling Nick.  What if I imagined it all?  What if I didn’t look at the tests long enough?  I didn’t want to tell him unless I was 100% sure.  So I bought two digital tests, stopped at a gas station before I got on the highway, and almost immediately I had the word “pregnant” staring me in the face.  Hard to argue with such a definitive sign.  


Once I got to Nick’s work (to meet for lunch, or so he thought) it took about 30 seconds of him in the car with me before I blurted out the big news.  The look on his face was priceless.  I would have loved to video tape his reaction, but unfortunately didn’t think of that until 2 days later.  He continued to ask me the usual How?  Are you sure?  with a HUGE smile on his face.  It was the most genuine happiness and excitement I’ve ever seen on my husband’s face.  


This marked the beginning of our journey, the beginning of our miracle, and the moment that changed our lives forever.  There will be plenty more to come!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: