Since our cramped days in our little ranch in Murfreesboro (circa 2006), Nick and I have wanted a storage bed to maximize space. We spent quite some time looking, but never could find something with the function and style we had in mind. Years later, and shortly after discovering Ana White, I stumbled upon her Farmhouse Storage Bed plan and it was exactly what I envisioned.
Now that I have a little woodworking experience under my belt and a beautiful new miter saw, it was finally time to tackle my dream bed. Nick went out to shop for lumber last weekend, and our project officially began on Sunday.
In just 2 1/2 hours the headboard was done, and we had even started a little work on the footboard. We were both a little surprised at how fast the project was moving, even with modifying for a warped board along the way.
The finished product is gorgeous, and our garage smelled amazing the next morning. If the children cooperate we should get several hours in this weekend, so stay tuned for farmhouse bed: day 2!
Friends for Healing 10k, March 21, Franklin
St. Jude Country Music 1/2 Marathon, April 25, Nashville
Beyond the Battlefield 10k, May 23, Brentwood
Running of the Bulls 5k, June 20, Winston Salem
Urban Runoff 5k, August 29, Nashville
Franklin Classic 5k, September 7, Franklin
The Sara Walker Run 5k, October 4, Nashville
Hammer Down 10k, November 21, Nashville
Rudolph's Red Nose Run 5k, December 19, Nashville
2015 totals (logged in Runkeeper):
My sweet little ones,
I love you so so much, but motherhood is hard. I often dream of some sort of break... a night without baths or stories or bedtime, five minutes without someone wanting a snack, a quiet evening on the patio with a book, a few minutes alone and away from it all.
But the truth is my life is empty without you. From the moment we said goodbye, my heart hurt. I drove away with an ache and longing for you that I sometimes forget is there. Everything seemed too quiet.
It's only a week. But for the last four years, I haven't known a week without you. I've barely known a night without you. A week can feel like so much more than a week, and some days are painfully longer than others. I miss you more every minute, but I hope you're not missing me. I hope you are having the time of your life. More importantly I hope I’ve taught you to feel safe away from me, knowing I will always return with more hugs and kisses than I left you with. No matter the distance, you are always a part of my heart.
love always & forever,
I don't write often anymore because there just aren't words for the way I feel about you. I wake each morning undeserving of the endless love you've brought to my life, and I go to bed each night wondering how I can be better for you. I want you to experience the best this world has to offer, and I want you both to be better than you ever thought imaginable. I won't get it right all of the time, and I may not even get it right most of the time, but I promise that everything I do for you is out of sincere love from my heart that grows more and more each day.
Logan, you are such a sweet, compassionate little man. I have no worries for your little sister as long as you are by her side, because you have more concern for her than I could have ever dreamed of. You make sure she is happy and safe, and even sing to calm her when she's upset. You do a pretty great job of looking out for your Mom, too. You are cautious but adventurous, and explore the world safely and with purpose. Your imagination flows in the most magical way. You are inquisitive with an amazing memory, and your smile will always melt my heart.
Adaleigh, you are my little wild child. Always by Mommy's side, and never happier than when we are together. You are incredibly fearless and unpredictable, always keeping me on my toes. You love basketball, shoes, and baby dolls, but nothing compares to the love for your brother. I admire the special bond you have with him as your protector, teacher, and best friend. Your vocabulary grows exponentially every day, and your sweet voice matches your beauty that takes my breath away.
Logan and Adaleigh, you are my world. You make me want to be better in everything I do. I am so proud to call you mine, and I feel blessed to guide you through this life until you are ready to fly free on your own. You are a part of me, and I will carry you with me every where I go. I miss you every minute of every day that I am away. There is no place I'd rather be than with the two of you by my side. I love you in the most overwhelming, joyful way.
Always & forever,
My dearest loves,
You are so small and innocent now, but I know the world is waiting for you. Not everything in this world is beautiful; sometimes the harshness of reality can knock you off your feet. I want you to have the courage to spread your wings and soar without me, but I want you to be prepared for what is to come. My hope is that my unrelenting love and a little advice will allow you to grow and succeed. Hold these words in your heart, and know that no obstacle is ever too big to overcome.
- Middle school and high school are hard. They will challenge you and try to break you in ways you could never imagine, but you will learn so much about life from those years. Don't let them define you. Learn and move on, and know that in ten years most of those people will no longer be in your life.
- Don't be scared of the unknown; embrace it. You will never move forward if you don't allow yourself to be challenged and learn to tackle the most difficult things head on. No one has ever moved mountains by hiding in the corner.
- You're not perfect. This was probably the hardest life lesson I ever had to learn. You will make mistakes, and that's okay. Perfection doesn't make us interesting. Our flaws give us character, and usually go hand-in-hand with something we can be proud of.
- Just because everyone does something one way does not make it the right way, or the easiest way, or the best way. Learn to question and challenge things in a graceful way. Think things through, and share your ideas with confidence. The world can't evolve without change.
- Your heart will break, but once you put the pieces back together it will be stronger. You will be stronger.
- Listen to criticism, learn from it, and then shake it off. Never be too good for advice, but stand strong in what you know. And when the time comes, passion trumps everything.
- Happiness is a skill. You can choose to be happy, but you must also know how to be happy. It is so much easier said than done. Think of the little things that made you smile before you knew the hardships of the world. If we all took a few minutes to enjoy the simplest things that put a smile on our face, the world would be a better place.
- Don't get caught up in the viscious cycle of negativity. Surround yourself with people that smile, and cherish friendships with those that want to see you happy.
- As parents we try to set good examples, but we're far from perfect. Realize our mistakes, take note of our flaws, and be better than we ever dreamed of being. You deserve more.
- Friends can make you or break you. Choose wisely. You don't have to work hard for true friendships. When times are hard, realize who is there for you, who isn't, and who got you there in the first place. Own your own mistakes, but don't forget how important the influences around you are.
- Even the best friendships can fade away if you let them. Never let someone forget how important they are to you. A few sincere words or unexpected call can go a long way.
- Don't let a relationship take over your life. You will lose yourself, your friends, and everything that made you who you are long before that person walked into your life. You can never be 100% sure that someone will be around forever, so make sure you can stand on your own two feet without them.
- Change is good. Be weary of those that always resist change, and even more cautious of someone that doesn't want you to change for the better.
- Be honest and trusting, but always aware of the intentions of others. Have faith that there are good people in this world, you just have to find them.
- Think wisely before you let anything become a habit. Habits are easy to make but so much harder to break, so be sure it's something that you want to be part of your life now and always.
Love forever and always,
"Though she be but little, she is fierce!"
~William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
my sweet girl,
It's hard to believe there was ever a time that you weren't a part of this family. You have brought an energy and excitement to our home that we didn't know we were missing.
When the day comes that you are ready to leave home, I hope you fly with open wings and your head held high. The world doesn't know what awaits them in your petite little frame. I hope you reach for your dreams, and never settle for anything less than what you deserve. You are full of strength and will that will take you far.
- ▼ 2016 (4)
- ► 2013 (38)
- ► 2012 (126)
- ► 2011 (57)
- ► 2010 (65)