bring. it. on.

7:53:00 AM Unknown 0 Comments

I am a runner.  I am a runner.  I am a runner.


(No matter how I write it, I love the way it sounds.)

My new found love of running has been life-changing.  It's hard to believe I've only been running for 10 days now, because it has truly changed me from the inside out.  My daily mood is better, my subconscious is focused on pride rather than self-loathing, I have more energy, and each muscle in my body thanks me every day for moving just a little bit more.

In just one week of running I've gone from only 0.5 mile runs to 2 mile runs.  This might not seem like a big achievement to the average runner, but for those like me that never thought running was a possibility this is a HUGE accomplishment.  If I can increase my run 1.5 miles in one week, I'm well on my way to crossing the finish line of the women's half marathon in September.

13.1 miles?  BRING IT ON.

I have always hated running.  I've been jealous of people that do run, because I never thought I could be one of them.  Even when I played sports and was in the best shape of my life, the thought of running made me cry.  I felt like some people were just born runners, and I would never be able to do it.  Look how far I've come.

One of the main problems I've had with any workout routine is losing motivation after a few weeks or months, and eventually finding myself back on the couch eating cookies and watching tv.  This was a concern of mine a week ago, but not anymore.  I love the way running makes me feel.  I'm shocked that after a 12-hour night shift on my feet and moving 400-lb patients, I can't get home fast enough to lace up my shoes and hit the road.  I can be exhausted or sore, but I still want to run.

I started running to get in better shape and lose a few pounds, but I don't think that's what's going to keep me running.  Running is so much more than exercise.  It is the best stress-reliever and mood enhancement I've ever experienced.  After a few miles of running my mind is clear, there's a smile on my face, and I feel GREAT.  It's a much better cure for a long stressful night at work than any amount of whiskey could ever be.  I'm in the process of trying to plan a vacation for Nick's return home, and I've found myself focusing on going somewhere with a great place to run.  I've always thought that exercising on vacation was a sin and mocked people that packed their workout clothes next to their bathing suits, but I get it now.  I can't imagine sitting around for a week without running.  I've also been researching pregnancy and running, because at the chance that Nick knocks me up in the next year I don't want to be confined to my behind.  (and for those of you curious, it is completely safe to run while pregnant... some women even continue to run half and full marathons late into their third trimester!)

I hope this inspires someone else to become a runner.  Try it out for a few days and give your body time to adjust, and I promise you won't be disappointed.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: