happy mother's day!

10:45:00 PM Unknown 1 Comments

For as long as I can remember, I've been told I look just like my mom.  When I was 5, this meant nothing to me.  When I was 13, I rolled my eyes every time I heard it (but then again, I'm pretty sure I rolled my eyes at everything).  But now I can't hear it enough.  It is such a compliment to be told I look exactly like my mother; she is beautiful inside and out.

I know I'm not the only person to consider their mom their best friend, but I mean every word of it.  Now that I'm older (and of age) I can talk to my mom about anything and everything, and I often do.  I call my mom any chance I get... whether I need a shoulder to lean on, an ear to cry to, someone to share my excitement with, or most often to update her on every little detail of my usually boring life.  And she answers every time.  There is no one I'd rather talk to, and no one that understands me better.

My mom has been there for me through every step of life.  She has never judged me, and she supports every decision I make (no matter how much she may be cringing on the inside... like the new tattoo on my foot).  When I called to tell her I was engaged I could see the tears of joy in her eyes.  When I called to tell her the engagement was off, I know she felt every bit of pain I was going through.  And when I called to tell her I was engaged again, to the same man that had broken my heart before, she was genuinely excited for me.  While my friends warned me to be careful and gave that less than assuring look of disapproval, my mom shared the excitement of wedding planning with me (again).  She never made me feel bad about my decision, and she embraced Nick back into our lives with a warm heart and without questions.  For whatever reason she has trusted every decision I've ever made, or at least made me believe that she did, and for that I am forever grateful.

My mom has made more sacrifices than anyone else I've ever known.  She sacrificed her own career numerous times for her family, and always supported my dad in reaching his own career goals.  When we needed her at home, she was there.  And when life threw a long curveball that no one was prepared for, she gave up everything to raise her two grandchildren.  She has never given herself enough credit for all that she is done for our family.

I will never understand what it feels like to be a mother until I have children of my own, but I completely understand the unconditional love between a mother and daughter.  There's nothing like it.  If I can be half the mother that my mom is, my children will be blessed.

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. Now you made me cry! Big sloppy tears. I did nothing to deserve you, but I'm sure glad you're my daughter. Thanks for making my day.

    ReplyDelete