alone, not lonely

9:51:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

"Dear John for 1 adult please."


That's right, I spent my afternoon at the movie theater watching the highly anticipated Dear John.  There's something extremely liberating about doing something meant for couples/groups all alone.  I bought a large cup of coffee and sat in between rows and rows of happy couples celebrating Valentine's Day early, and I didn't mind at all (I did, however, make sure to flash my ring a few times to the rows behind me).

Since Nick joined the military I'm not afraid to go out to dinner alone, spend an evening at the movie theater alone, or just be alone.  I have my moments, but for the most part I really enjoy the peace and independence I feel when I'm out in the world by myself.  I can think of a lot worse things in life to complain about... like the movie itself.

I read Dear John by Nicholas Sparks months ago, and I've been counting down the days until the movie release ever since.  The book was amazing.  Because The Notebook was done so well, I really had high expectations for this movie.  I loved the story, and loved the actors, and I thought I would have no choice but to love the movie.  I couldn't have been more wrong.  I found every minute of it disappointing.  I have to wonder how I would have felt about it if I hadn't read the book, as always.  I still haven't recovered from the ending... or the lack thereof.

As expected a few moments in the movie hit a little too close to home, and as a result I left the theater in a weird and depressed mood.  Naturally I stopped at Target on the way home to buy a little happiness back into my life, but that also failed.  One trip through the baby aisle and past a few happy couples with their young children and I was in a worse mood than when I started.

After a warm Lean Cuisine meal, a long phone call from my husband, and a visit from my friend Jim Beam, I'm doing much better :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments: