almost there

10:56:00 PM Unknown 0 Comments

I received my ATT and scheduled my NCLEX today! I'm only a few weeks away from officially becoming Jaclyn, RN, BSN. You have no idea how amazing it feels.

To make it even better, I scheduled to take the exam in Chattanooga at the end of January. If everything works out, I will get to enjoy dinner and a little quality time with my family while I'm there. I don't get to see them nearly often enough. Somehow I've managed to see them less since I moved to TN than when I lived further away in NC. It may be long overdue, but at least I have a plan in place.

I'm also really excited about visiting my aunt in the nursing home. She's been in a coma for almost 12 years now, and I feel guilty for not visiting more often. I probably won't be their favorite visitor, because now that I'm educated as a nurse I plan to point out everything they're doing wrong. Only the best for my family :)

I'll also visit my Granny's grave while I'm in the area. I've only been once before (she died in February 2007), so this is another visit that's long overdue. My Granny and I weren't particularly close- I was such a shy child, I didn't get close to anyone I didn't have to- but I love making up for lost time now. I miss her so much... she was the only grandparent I had as a child, and she definitely has a special place in my life and my heart. I've had a four leaf clover hanging from my rear view mirror since she died (she was born on St. Patty's day), and it has brought so much comfort and peace to me. For every stressful day and emotional roller coaster I've survived in the last 3 years, it has hung as a reminder to not worry about things out of your control but focus on the bigger picture. She's also a big part of the reason I chose a career in nursing. She was not a licensed nurse, but she was the most compassionate caregiver anyone could ever ask for. She cared for six children, including spending the last 9 years of her life caring for her oldest daughter in a coma, and she never once complained. She was never lazy, and never took the easy way out. I will always remember her with a smile on my face. And any day I become frustrated with a patient or lose my empathy for others, I hope to remember her to remind me why I chose the path I did. She is the most amazing role model anyone could have, and if I can be half of what she was I will be the greatest nurse Nashville has ever seen.

You Might Also Like

0 comments: