2 under 2: sibling love

11:09:00 PM Unknown 1 Comments


I wish I could say it was love at first sight. After all the tender moments between Logan and Adaleigh when she was still safely tucked in my belly, I wish I could say that from the moment Logan laid eyes on her he became the protective, loving big brother. I wish I could say he was happy to see her.
When Logan first entered the hospital room the afternoon that Adaleigh was born, he didn't know what to think. He didn't know where Mommy had been all day, why she was now swollen and lying in a new bed surrounded by tubes and cords, and who in the world was hiding under her gown and taking his place lying on my chest. He was very apprehensive to do anything more than give me a quick kiss, and was definitely not happy sitting next to me and his new little sister. He showed no interest in her, and wasn't sure how he felt about his Mommy anymore.
Luckily on Day 2, he started to warm up a little to the idea. He was finally interested in seeing who this new little baby was, and touching her hair and arms to see if she was real. We encouraged him to love her and kiss her, and to our surprise he started snuggling her tiny little body in Daddy's arms and didn't want to stop. She wasn't that bad after all.
Every day he shows a little more interest and love for his little sister, and is growing more protective of her. As soon as he gets up in the morning he runs to find her in the bassinet and give her a nice pat on the arm or leg. He doesn't like for her to be left unattended, and wants us holding her constantly. He worries if he can't find her, and brings her toys and pacis whenever she's around. Just yesterday I watched as he moved his activity table across the room, so he could sit and play next to the pack and play where Adaleigh was sleeping.
I so grateful he's adjusting as well as he is. Even though I am head over heels in love with our new addition, I hate that we've turned his world upside down. I will always feel guilty for stealing the attention away from him when he was still so young, but I hope that giving him a playmate and new best friend more than makes up for it. I know it will take some time for him (and all of us) to fully adjust, but I look forward to the challenges of the ride we're on. This is exactly the life I've dreamed of.


You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. Jaclyn, I just love you!! You are the greatest momma!! You little family is so sweet--and Adaleigh is a dream!! Such a pretty girl, like her momma!! :)

    ReplyDelete